- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practice experience.
- 10 years of software development experience in C, C++, or Java, or 8 years with an advanced degree.
- Experience working on the Android operating system and/or Linux Kernel programming, device bring-up, and board support packages.
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, or setting technical direction.
- Experience in working with different vendors and cross-functional teams.
- Experience with Android OS and Android Hardware Abstraction Layers (HAL).
- Experience in configuring Android and Linux kernels.
- Demonstrated knowledge of embedded systems development, RTOS concepts, device drivers and hardware/software integration.
- Technical leadership, project management, analytical problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
The Auto hardware team provides the foundation of our efforts in auto, particularly as we work to innovate in many spaces in-car: e.g., ML, CV, compute in car. Your work will be critical in enabling the lower layers of the reference Automotive Embedded Platform and to empower the Automotive Embedded Team to develop new versions of Android versions.
You will be responsible for enabling the wider Android Automotive Embedded team to bringup and maintain the Board Support Package for the reference design hardware platform. You are a skilled problem solver that can bridge the SoC and Tier1 third party Board Support Package developers and the Platform Automotive developers. Additionally, you understand the intricacies of Hardware Abstraction Layers, Linux kernel, and Android compliance testing.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Collaborate with the SoC vendor for the purpose of board support package development.
- Collaborate with a Tier1 vendor to further customize the board support package to the reference hardware.
- Collaborate with the Android (Mobile) team to keep abreast the changes across Android versions.
- Collaborate with a variety of internal stakeholders to understand overall software needs of the Automotive Platform Team.
- Provide technical leadership to a team of board support package engineers by providing technical direction for a wide range of topics: audio, video, sensors, car connectivity, and power management.