- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practice experience.
- 10 years of software development experience, or 8 years with an advanced degree.
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, or setting technical direction.
- Experience and knowledge of Android, Android OS or embedded systems in Mobile.
- Experience working with Graphics pipelines (e.g. OpenGL, DirectX, Vulkan).
- Experience building strong collaborative partnerships with product partners and other cross-functional teams.
- Solid understanding of hand-held device, web, and/or mobile graphics techniques and production practices.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
The Android Platform Graphics team owns the software that gets pixels onto the screens of billions of devices, including phones, tablets, TVs, cars, watches, and more.
From rounding up OpenGL and Vulkan APIs to improving our window compositing system and supporting leading-edge display technology, we want to provide the most compelling visual experience for our users. We are also focused on minimizing jank and power consumption, and resolving driver bugs through innovative testing efforts.
Our goal is not only to keep these systems great, but to continuously improve upon them as they are foundational to a great Android experience. In this role, you will be a technical lead (i.e. Staff Software Engineer) to take on exciting and compelling challenges that the team is facing.
- Partner with Product Manager, Engineer, and Leadership teams to set graphics strategy for the organization.
- Manage resources to execute on the given strategy.
- Understand full stack performance in order to map effective strategy forward.
- Technically drive graphics roadmap.
- Effectively solve ambiguous engineering problems and enhance code health.