- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of software development experience with programming languages (C or C++), or 8 years with an advanced degree.
- 5 years of experience with embedded and/or real-time operating system design.
- Experience developing system software for battery-powered or resource-constrained devices.
- Master's or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, or setting technical direction.
- Experience leading and/or managing complex hardware/software projects.
- Experience building software for physical consumer products.
- Experience applying modern C++ techniques and patterns to embedded software.
- Experience working closely with hardware vendors and design teams.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
With your technical expertise you will manage project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables. You will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
As a Senior Staff Software Developer, you will own the architecture and design of the core operating system that powers our hardware products. You will be a key leader in our integrated hardware and software engineering team that is constantly solving cross-functional problems to deliver helpful, delightful experiences for our customers.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Devices & Services team combines the best of Google AI, Software, and Hardware to create radically helpful experiences for users. We research, design, and develop new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, seamless, and more powerful. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, the Devices & Services team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Set technical direction for multiple sub-teams.
- Drive power and performance optimization across our hardware and software stack.
- Work closely with engineering and product leadership to design and build products that give our customers seamless experiences.
- Lead the architecture and design of our operating system for products.