Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook AR/VR focuses on delivering Facebook's vision through Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR). The compute performance and power efficiency requirements of Virtual and Augmented Reality require custom silicon. Facebook Silicon team is driving the state of the art forward with breakthrough work in computer vision, machine learning, mixed reality, graphics, displays, sensors, and new ways to map the human body. Our chips will enable AR and VR devices where our real and virtual world will mix and match throughout the day. We believe the only way to achieve our goals is to look at the entire stack, from transistor, through architecture, to firmware, and algorithms.We are seeking an experienced Embedded Software engineer to drive firmware design and architecture for our custom-designed ASICs for computer vision, graphics, audio and machine learning. The successful candidate will be part of a team that includes algorithm, user experience, software, firmware and silicon experts. This is a full-time position based in either our Redmond, WA or Menlo Park, CA offices with some travel requirements between these two sites on a need-basis.
- Architect and develop firmware for novel custom SoCs for next-generation AR/VR platforms and provide feedback on new silicon designs
- Provide technical leadership for a team of embedded software engineers who work cross-functionally with silicon architects, digital/RTL designers, DV engineers, algorithm researchers, high-level OS developers and end-user experiences app developers
- Participate in silicon and product roadmap creation, provide input into schedules and resourcing estimates, and drive successful chip tapeout, bringup, validation, prototype/devkit support and eventual product mass deployment
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering/equivalent with 12+ years of similar experience or masters degree with 9+ years of experience or PhD with 7+ years of experience
- Experience in hands-on development in C/C++ for embedded systems and evaluating firmware architecture and tradeoffs in custom HW IP blocks or SoC design
- Successful track record of designing and building firmware for custom silicon
- Proven understanding of computer architecture, hardware interfaces real-time operating systems and driver development on high-level operating system
- Excellent understanding of most systems on modern SoCs: CPU cores, NoC, memory bandwidth tradeoffs, low-power, host interfaces, bootloaders, security, imaging and video pipelines
- Experience with PCIe, USB, or system security
- Delivered firmware for successful chip tapeouts as well as chip bringup and deployment experience
- Experience in test-driven development (TDD) and continuous integration (CI) techniques for embedded systems
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.