The Core Switch Group (CSG) at Broadcom is the industry leading provider of networking switch ASICs. CSG team focuses on developing network switch chips and software that power the largest mega scale data centers and carrier networks. Development effort includes definition, architecture, design and verification tasks on CSG cutting edge products.
This position focuses on the development of low level switch control plane software, drivers and APIs for use in embedded networking applications. This job entails development of embedded software components for Ethernet interface management, packet processing and traffic management of Broadcom Ethernet switches. Requires thorough knowledge of Ethernet/L2, L3/IPv4/IPv6, MPLS VPNs, switching and routing protocols. The following detailed tasks are performed by a Switch SDK software development engineer:
- Review and understand standards for data networking protocols, customer application requirements and how they map to Broadcom network switch solutions.
- Work with Software, Hardware, Marketing, Architecture and Design teams to define requirements and architecture for new generations of switch systems.
- Read and analyze HW functional, architectural specifications, HW models, registers files and implement SW control plane drivers based on thorough understanding of PCIe, TCAM, hash memories, 10/100/25G SERDES interfaces, DMA controllers, PIO, MDIO, and i2c.
- Support HW teams through Architecture Validation, Emulation and Silicon Validation.
- Create detailed SW design specifications, presentations, and internal training materials.
- Apply expertise in embedded software and firmware development using C language to develop Broadcom Switch Development Kit (Switch SDK) running primarily within Linux OS.
- Port and validate switch software and firmware components across various control plane CPUs and CPU architectures.
- Work closely with SQA team to develop, run and troubleshoot unit and regression tests using CUNIT framework, TCL and Go languages.
- Support Applications Engineering team on customer engagements, field failure analysis, debugging and patching.