The Application Proxy team located in Waterloo, Ontario is looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer. The team is responsible for the high performing middle tier of Symantec’s security proxy appliance. Nearly all customers and all requests execute the code that the team designs, develops and tests, which makes it a very exciting area to work.
The Company and Products
The proliferation of web and cloud applications along with mobile devices, have made the web one of the greatest security threat vectors. Consequently, organizations need an integrated, multi-layered approach to defend against rapidly evolving security threats. Symantec Secure Web Gateway solutions, including ProxySG, Advanced Secure Gateway, Web Security Service, and Virtual Secure Web Gateway deliver strong proxy-based security in an on-premises security gateway appliance, virtual appliance, cloud or hybrid deployment. Our proxy architecture is a core part of our secure web gateway platform: It protects customers against web- and network-based threats, enables cloud data protection, and provides flexible business policy control across the enterprise and the cloud, including web, social, and mobile networks. Symantec ProxySG extends powerful network capabilities to our Symantec Integrated Cyber Defense platform. Together, these tools unify cloud and on-premises security with advanced threat protection and information protection across all endpoints, networks, email, and cloud applications.
The Application Proxy team located in Waterloo, Ontario is looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer. The team is responsible for the high performing middle tier of Symantec’s security proxy appliance. Nearly all customers and all requests execute the code that the team designs, develops and tests, which makes it a very exciting area to work. In this role, the candidate is a technical contributor on the Application Proxy team working with architects, product managers, and other application layer developers to implement new features and to investigate and address issues in the application layer of our security-focused proxy device. In this role, the successful candidate will:
- Be responsible for extending complex system functionality, building and integrating related components, as well as enhancing existing sub-systems.
- Use professional concepts aligned with company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Work on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
This is a great opportunity if you are interested in contributing to the continuing evolution of application proxies, solving complex problems, writing high-performance code, and learning about all aspects of our security proxy solutions.
Candidates must possess strong programming and software development skills. Prior experience in object-oriented design and development experience in C++ is required for this position.
We are looking for an energetic, results-oriented technical contributor, with:
- 5 – 10 years of programming experience in C/C++.
- Bachelor or Master's degree in computer science, Math or Software Engineering.
- Strong knowledge of Layer 7 protocols and web application technology stacks.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and handle complexity.
The following would be a real asset for the position:
- Experience with network security solutions such as firewalls, IDS/IPS, or proxies.
- Embedded software development experience with Linux or QNX.
- Experience in debugging and analyzing complex issues using GDB, and various system statistics
If you are located outside USA, please be sure to fill out a home address as this will be used for future correspondence