Facebook AR/VR focuses on delivering Facebook's vision through Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR). The compute performance and power efficiency requirements of Virtual and Augmented Reality require custom silicon. Facebook Silicon team is driving the state-of-the art forward with breakthrough work in computer vision, machine learning, mixed reality, graphics, displays, sensors, and new ways to map the human body. Our chips will enable AR and VR devices where our real and virtual world will mix and match throughout the day. We believe the only way to achieve our goals is to look at the entire stack, from transistor, through architecture, to firmware, and algorithms.
We are seeking an Embedded Software Manager who will lead a team of firmware engineers and test/prototyping engineers to drive our custom-designed ASICs for computer vision, graphics, audio and machine learning. The successful candidate will be part of a team that includes algorithm, user experience, software, firmware and silicon experts. This is a full-time position based in either our Redmond, WA or Menlo Park, CA offices with some travel requirements between these two sites on a need-basis.
Manager, Embedded Software Responsibilities
- Build and lead a team who architect and develop firmware for novel custom SoCs for next-generation AR/VR platforms
- Provide technical leadership as well as manage a team of embedded software engineers who work cross-functionally with silicon architects, digital/RTL designers, DV engineers, algorithm researchers, high-level OS developers and end-user experiences app developers
- Participate in silicon and product roadmap, provide schedules and resourcing estimates and drive successful chip tapeout, bringup, validation, prototype/DevKit support and eventual product mass deployment
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering/equivalent with 12+ years of similar experience or Master’s degree with 9+ years of experience or PhD with 7+ years of experience
- Proven track record of leading and managing Firmware and Embedded Software teams. Proven track record of leading teams of engineers
- Experience in hands-on development in C/C++ for embedded systems and evaluating firmware architecture and tradeoffs in custom HW IP blocks or SoC design
- Knowledge of computer architecture, hardware interfaces real-time operating systems and driver development on high-level operating systems
- Excellent understanding of most systems on modern SoCs: CPU cores, NoC, memory bandwidth tradeoffs, low-power, host interfaces, bootloaders, security, imaging and video pipelines
- Delivered firmware for successful chip tapeouts as well as chip bringup and deployment experience
- Experience in test-driven development (TDD) and continuous integration (CI) techniques for embedded systems
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.